Things I like about going to the gym:
- I get exercise, which feels healthy after a long day of sitting on my ass at work
- I feel better when I’m done there
- I like reading the stupid magazines like “People” and “Us” that I would never read otherwise
- The purple and green colors of the decor
- The location (2 blocks from work)
Things I loathe about the gym:
- The couple of guys who think the rest of us are impressed when they grunt (just to be clear, guys, it’s gross)
- The music – sorry, I don’t do rap
- The fans in front of the treadmills – I don’t like to run in the wind, inside or outside – but I can turn them off if no one objects, and nobody ever does!
- The scale – it never says what I want it to say
- The fact that sometimes, some ignoramus has tuned the TV to Fox “News” while I’m there
- Guys who are clearly at the gym to socialize and not work out
- People who apparently belong to some odd religious sect that outlaws using deodorant (luckily, these are uncommon)
- Sometimes a girlfriend/acquaintance (not quite a girlfriend, more than an acquaintance) is there and she wants to socialize when I just want to go into my mental cave, work out, and leave.
Some other things I’ve noticed at the gym:
- Most people are pretty nice.
- The owner is nice and he has very good eating habits.
- The gym is very clean.
- When equipment breaks, it’s repaired immediately. I appreciate that.
- The older you get, the harder it is to lose weight.
- I can no longer eat whatever I want as long as I exercise. Sob!